PreviewI know I’m in my ego too much when I’m rushing through my day, my yoga practice, my conversations and interactions with others, and my to do list thinking that I have to get more stuff done and that going fast is the answer. Wrong… Going fast doesn’t work for me anymore and it doesn’t give me the quality and depth that my soul longs for.
The Soul loves it when we slow down because then we feel what’s in our heart, we are present, centered and mindful of our experiences.
Slowing down soothes the nervous system and cultivates calm. In our overly anxious world we need this now more than ever. The solution to anxiety is to embrace embodiment and we can only be embodied when we slow down and are in the present with our breath.
Try this simple breathing exercise to slow down your thoughts and get centered.
1. Inhale for a count of four.
2. Hold for a count of four.
3. Exhale for a count of four.
4. Wait for a count of four.
5. Repeat until you feel calm and centered again.
When your lungs expand slowly this releases acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter which tells your heart to slow down. A slowed heart rate calms your entire nervous system and when your nervous system is calm you can much more easily register the subtle energies of your body that when felt promote well-being and health.
Other simple ways to slow down and connect with soul:
- Get out in nature and leave your phone at home – Go for a walk in the woods, watch a sunset or be near the water. Pause, appreciate and take in the beauty and serenity of the moment.
- Move slowly – Walk don’t run to your meeting, restroom, or bus stop. Turn your daily walk into a moving meditation where you are conscious of each step and your surroundings. Along with walking pick activities like slow flow yoga and Tai Chi that require you being present to each breath and movement.
- Do one thing at a time – When you do one thing at a time with your awareness in the present moment the enjoyment and quality is much better. Soul is all about quality, not quantity.
Life is not a race. Take notice the next time you want to go fast and then stop and intentionally choose to slow down.
Slow is the way to go, be and live.