I’ve given up the concept of “waiting around” and instead always try to do something more fun, meaningful and or productive during those 30 to however many seconds or minutes spent waiting every day. No matter if it’s waiting for your coffee to brew, at a redlight, in a grocery line, at the airport, etc… There are so many other things we can do instead of just wait and I want to
DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN LOOK AT MY PHONE, because I already do that enough.
Here are somethings you can do instead:
- Read a book – This is especially good if you have a long wait like Jury Duty. Reading can help you relax and it’s great to use your imagination. I’ve been making it a habit to keep a book in my bag wherever I go.
- Stretch – I can never get enough stretching in. It feels so good to move the body in this way and release tension from your muscles.
- Dance – Move your body and forget about if anyone is watching. You may inspire them to move also.
- Sing – Express yourself and sing out loud. Singing always makes me feel uplifted.
- Pray/Meditate – take a moment to be still, go within and connect. Offer a prayer or reflect on a word/mantra/bible verse that has significant meaning to you.
- Think about and visualize your goals – use this time to check in with yourself on where you’re at with completing any goals you may have set. Visualize your goals being met.
- Talk to someone – Maybe even start up a conversation with a stranger. Don’t be afraid to make a new friend (the ole fashion way).
- Look for beauty around you – There is always something beautiful to appreciate. Look around you see something with new eyes. Beauty is everywhere if we just look.
- Think about what you’re grateful for – One of my favorite things to do is to make a gratitude list. This will boost your mood and bring more good things into your life.
- Write something, maybe even a poem – you don’t have to be a poet, just write something beautiful and or meaningful to you. Write from the heart.
- Make eye-contact with someone and give them a smile – We don’t look at each other anymore. Our faces are usually buried in our phones. Why not, look someone in the eye and give a friendly smile. You never know who you might connect with and how this would change both of your days.
- Breathe – Bring awareness to your breathing and you will cultivate being more calm and peaceful in every moment.
You never have to wait again; instead fill those moments with meaningful activity. You’ll feel more connected and your Soul will appreciate it.